Welcome to the PCPL Seed Sharing Library!
The Pinckney Library’s Seed Library Collection is a free program that shares seeds and encourages borrowers to return some seeds from their harvests to make the seed library self-sustaining.
The Pinckney Library’s “start up collection” of seeds came as a partnership between the Library and the Pinckney Community Gardeners. We thank Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds for their generous donation of seeds. We also thank our Friends of the Pinckney Library for their monetary donation towards the Seed Library Collection.
How it works:
- Find the seeds you want
- Take the seeds you want
- Bring back seeds to share
How to “Check Out” and “Return” seeds to the PCPL Seed Library Collection:
- Browse the collection of seeds in the Seed Library.
- Seed packets are organized by categories: vegetables, fruits, flowers, and herbs.
- Take only as many as you can use in one season, and please limit yourself to one packet of each variety. Please make every effort to follow the correct seed saving instructions to assure the seeds you bring back to share at the end of the season will grow true to type. If a packet has more seeds than you plan to use, please use the empty, resealable Seed Envelopes provided.
- NOTE: If you wish to “return” or share your seeds, please make sure to use the empty, resealable Seed Envelopes as well. For seeds you wish to “return”, make sure to label them accordingly: Seed Type, Date Collected, and Notes.
- Take your seed packets to the Circulation Desk for “check out”.
Please know that the returned seeds stocked in the Seed Library have been grown by amateurs, and that there is no guarantee any particular seed will grow.
The Pinckney Library will offer programs pertaining to gardening, seed-saving, and food preservation throughout the year. Our website will provide documentation and links to online resources.